(HCSRN) is a voluntary consortium of 19 major HMO organizations that have well-established research capabilities.
Essentia Health became a full member in 2012
- Location: Seattle, Washington Year established: 1983 Active studies: 194 in 2012 Peer-reviewed publications: 298 in 2012
- Essentia Institute of Rural Health
Location: Duluth, Minnesota Year established: 2010 Active studies: 37 in 2012 Peer-reviewed publications: 32 in 2012
- Geisinger Center for Health Research
Location: Danville, Pennsylvania Year established: 2003 Active studies: 430 in 2012 Peer-reviewed publications: 232 in 2012
- Henry Ford Health System Research Centers
Location: Detroit, Michigan Year established: Varies by center Total active studies: Varies by center Peer-reviewed publications: Varies by center
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Institute
Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year established: 1993 Active studies: 98 in 2012 Peer-reviewed publications: 123 in 2012
- HealthPartners Institute for Education and Research
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota Year established: 1990 Active studies: 187 in 2012 Peer-reviewed publications: 190 in 2012
- Kaiser Permanente Institute for Health Research
Location: Denver, Colorado Year established: 1992 Active studies: 230 in 2012 Peer-reviewed publications: 111 in 2012
- KP Center for Clinical and Outcomes Research
Location: Atlanta, Georgia Year established: 1998 Active studies: 49 in 2012 Peer-reviewed publications: 18 in 2012
- The Center for Health Research - KP Hawaii
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii Year established: 1999 Active studies: 34 in 2012 Peer-reviewed publications: 22 in 2012
- Mid-Atlantic Permanente Research Institute
Location: Rockville, Maryland Year established: 1999 Active studies: 50+ in 2012 Peer-reviewed publications: 22 manuscripts and 30 abstracts in 2012
- Kaiser Permanente Division of Research
Location: Oakland, CA Year established: 1961 Active studies: 410 in 2012 Peer-reviewed publications: 328 in 2012
- The Center for Health Research - KP Northwest
Location: Portland, Oregon Year established: 1964 Active studies: 314 in 2012 Peer-reviewed publications: 216 in 2012
- KP Department of Research & Evaluation
Location: Pasadena, California Year established: 1963 Active studies: 429 in 2012 Peer-reviewed publications: 330 in 2012
- Marshfield Clinic Research Foundation
Location: Marshfield, Wisconsin Year established: 1959 Active studies: 583 in 2012 Peer-reviewed publications: 191 in 2012
- Maccabi Institute for Health Services Research
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel Year established: 2004 Active studies: Peer-reviewed publications:
- Meyers Primary Care Institute
Location: Worcester, Massachusetts Year established: 1996 Active studies: 42 in 2012 Peer-reviewed publications: 87 in 2012
- Palo Alto Medical Foundation Research Institute
Location: Palo Alto, California Year established: 1950 Active studies: 60 in 2012 Peer-reviewed publication: 41 in 2012
- Baylor Scott & White Center for Applied Health Research
Location: Temple, Texas Year established: 2010 Active studies:29 in 2012 Peer-reviewed publications: 13 in 2012
- Catholic Health Initiatives
Location: Englewood, Colorado Year established: 2007 Active studies: 350+ per year Peer-reviewed publications: TBA
The network allows the Essentia Institute of Rural Health access to a diverse population and many capable collaborators. The HCSRN has been described as "a model for its capacity to implement studies and capture data within the context of usual care." The network has achieved milestones including consolidating multiple large network projects around the use of a single distributed data resource, setting up data counters, developing cross network governance to facilitate use of distributed data resources, and reviewing potential new clinical studies.
There are a number of specific utilities that are exclusively available to members of the HCSRN including: a project management portal, a guide to optimizing recruitment in multi-center studies, and a guide describing IRB procedures around the Network.
Health Care Systems Research Network (HCSRN) members include the Essentia Institute of Rural Health (Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, Idaho), Group Health Cooperative (Washington/Idaho), Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (Boston), Henry Ford Health System (Southeastern Michigan), HealthPartners Research Foundation (Minneapolis/St. Paul), Meyers Primary Care Institute of Fallon Health Care (Central Massachusetts), Lovelace Clinic Foundation (New Mexico), the Marshfield Clinic (Wisconsin), Scott and White Health Plan (Texas), the Geisinger Health System (Pennsylvania), the Maccabi Healthcare Services (Tel Aviv, Israel), Palo Alto Medical Foundation Research Institute (California), and the Kaiser Permanente divisions in Hawaii, Northwest (Oregon and Washington), Northern California, Colorado, Southern California, Georgia, and Mid Atlantic (Maryland, Virginia, District of Columbia).
The network has the vision of being the research partner of choice for those seeking to shape health and health care delivery. There are a number of aims that accompany this purpose:
- To be recognized as the Nation's premier resource for population-based health and health care research by leveraging the Network's unparalleled member and geographic diversity, research and research translation strengths, and organizational, human capital, and data resources.
- Contribute to national and global dialogues on health research and policy by serving as a credible source of evidence-based information and representing integrated delivery system-based research perspectives.
- Promote and establish the Network as a preferred research partner of funding agencies and others by capitalizing on its research and research translation strengths and by communication efforts designed to increase the visibility of the Network, its collective capabilities, and its accomplishments.
- Foster Network-led collaborative studies by enhancing awareness of research interests, resources, and capabilities of the member centers and their investigators and by stimulating proposals, endorsing them, and publicizing their successes.
- Share methodologies, best practices, and consultative expertise derived from the Network's successful research enterprise by holding an Annual Conference, strengthening investigator development through shared recruitment strategies, fellowships and mentoring programs, joining forces with public and private agency initiatives, and enlisting both traditional and new dissemination technologies.
The HCSRN has spun off a number of multi-site collaborations including the Cancer Research Network (CRN), the Centers for Education and Research in Therapeutics (CERT), the Coordinated Clinical Studies Network, the Vaccine Safety Datalink (VSD), the Cardiovascular Research Network (CVRN), and the Cancer Care and Outcomes Research Surveillance Consortium.
Search Clinical Trials
For information on individual clinical trials including description, contacts, financial disclosures, please click here